The plant is located in Central Ukraine near the city of Enerhodar, on the banks of the Kakhovka Reservoir on the Dnieper river. It has 6 VVER-1000pressurized light water nuclear reactors, each generating 1000 MWe, for a total power output of 6,000 MWe. The first five were successively brought online between 1985 and 1989, and the sixth was added in 1995. The plant generates about half of the country's electricity derived from nuclear power and more than a fifth of total electricity generated in Ukraine. This was the last construction in the former Soviet Union for a period of time.