Clinton responded with an answer that does not evoke confidence in someone seeking the highest office in the land...
Hillary Clinton took another pass at trying to answer the questions surrounding her use of a private email server as secretary of state, but once again came up short.
During an interview which aired on Friday, MSNBC’s Andrew Mitchell gave her an open-ended opportunity to address the issue squarely, but the presidential candidate responded with less than satisfying answers.
Mitchell first asked, “Did anyone in your inner-circle say this is not a good idea, let’s not do this?” regarding the use of a private server. Clinton responded with an answer that does not evoke confidence in someone seeking the highest office in the land. “You know, I was not thinking a lot [emphasis added] when I got in. There was so much work to be done. We had so many problems around the world. I didn’t really stop and think, ‘What kind of email system will there be?’”
Mitchell followed up asking if her decision-making regarding the matter raises questions about her judgment. Clinton replied by pointing to the hard work she did as secretary of state, which she believes the emails revealed. She also seemed to shift blame to the American public for not being able to understand or be satisfied with the answers she has given thus far.
“I am sorry that this has been confusing to people and has raised a lot of questions,” she said. “But there are answers to all of these questions, and I will continue to provide those answers, and those answers have been confirmed and affirmed by the State Department and by other government officials.”
As reported by Western Journalism, what has been “confirmed and affirmed” by the State Department, is that Clinton did not tell the truth regarding turning over all her work-related emails to the agency. This revelation came following Clinton confidant Sid Blumenthal’s testimony for the Select Committee on Benghazi in June, prior to which he turned over numerous emails between himself and the secretary, some of which the State Department had not received.
Clinton also told Mitchell that, “the facts I have put forth [regarding her email server], have remained the same,” which is not true. After the scandal broke in March, Clinton said: “I did not email any classified material to anyone on my email. There is no classified material.” The presidential candidate reiterated: “I’m certainly well-aware of the classification requirements and did not send classified material.”
After the State Department began to find emails with classified information in them (currently numbering well over one hundred), Clinton changed her tune stating she had not sent or received any emails that were marked classified at the time.
Clinton further stated that “now the State Department has everything that they could have,” apparently referencing that the private server has been turned over to the FBI in addition to the 55,000 pages of emails her legal team selected submitted to the agency in the spring of this year. However, Clinton, much like her spokesman in an interview on CNN on Thursday, failed to mention that the State Department could have had many more answers had she not chosen to wipe her server after the Select Committee on Benghazi opened its investigation and sought all relevant emails surrounding the 2012 attack.
Clinton’s spokesman Brian Fallon went so far as to tell CNN’s Brianna Keilar, “I don’t know what wiped means” after she clarified his claim that the campaign had turned over the server to the FBI. “The wiped server. The wiped server, right, Brian?” she said.
Adding further fuel to fire of potential wrongdoing, Bryan Pagliano, a former Clinton aide responsible for helping set up up her server has indicated, through his attorney, that he will plead the Fifth in response to summons for him to testify before the Select Committee on Benghazi and the Senate Judiciary and Homeland Security Committees, the Washington Post reported Wednesday.
Don’t miss out ever. Subscribe to Western Journalism by Email.